I am always on the lookout for new t-shirt pattern and found a fun one over at Indiesew, called the Neptune Tee by Sew Kate Sew. The description of this top,
A knit tee with triangle cutouts at the sleeves, back, and front.
I found the concept of the cut-outs to be very interesting and a nice design feature. For the first one I used the buffalo plaid from a previous project (see here). I love this fabric and had just enough to get one more top. I cut a medium for this top and made no other changes in the sizing
You can take a look at the cut out in the back, here, aren't they fun?
Here is a side picture of the arm cutouts.
Then one more photo a bit closer. I used a black thread in my coverstitch machine to finish the bands on this Neptune tee. I really took my time stitching and concentrated on my presser foot marks to keep the stitching straight.
Our weather here has been crazy. Warm with temperatures in the 60's and then cools off to the 40's, which still is very mild for us. I really needed some layering tops that still look great when I take off my cardigan. The Neptune tee was a perfect choice.
I did have a bit of stretching with the front v-neck when attaching the neckband. When you attach the neckband, there is nothing to sew the band to in that "v" area. While I was helping hubby on the farm, yesterday, I was thinking of a solution to make all the cutouts to lay better and not have the stretching. Stretching might not be the best word, the top of the cut-outs just need help with the alignment and to keep them flat. My conceived solution was Solvy Stabilizer. The pattern includes a v-neck insert and I thought cut the Solvy from that pattern, baste in the cutout, stitch your neckband, remove the basting and then pull out the Solvy. What is left will dissolve with water.
What you do think? I am anxious to try this and see if I can improve my cutouts. You can see in the photo with the cardigan, I didn't get the sides of the cutout quite even on the neckband. I was so busy concentrating on getting the deep v perfect on the plaid, I didn't even think about the top of the cutout even on both sides of the "v". Honestly, if the fabric wasn't plaid you wouldn't notice it.
This Neptune with all the cutouts took me just over 1-1/2 hours to construct.
After the cutout version, I wanted to try out the inset version for another option. I had this great rayon lycra jersey from IndieSew, yes they sell patterns and fabric, too. You do have to act quickly to get their fabric, it sells so fast.
The cutout is from some yardage in my stash and I felt the gray was a perfect compliment to the salmon color. This shirt was so quick to sew with only one cutout, I think it took just over an hours.
Here is close-up of the inset, which would look great on every cutout, too.
So if you want a fun new tee pattern, take a look at the Neptune, it will work year round in your wardrobe.
This cardigan was part of the reason I went with the gray inset and the salmon lycra really brightens up the gray cardigan.