Fall is a bit in the air here in Missouri but is temperamental. Here one day and then gone the next, letting summer back in. That's okay, I am going to be prepared, plus I am sick of wearing my summer clothes. Anyone else tired of their summer clothes/
I downloaded Christine Hayes' Marianne Dress from Indiesew in August with every intention of getting it made before now. It was not procrastinating at all, but it was finding the right fabric. I finally found just what I wanted, a buffalo plaid from Girl Charlee and a natural spandex
Once again, I didn't want a dress but had seen others who made it into a top/tunic. That was just what I wanted. My pattern alteration was easy, using the lengthen/shorten line, I shortened 8 inches.
The sizing is spot on - I used a 12 at the bust and 10 at the waist and hips, per the sizing chart. I did taper it a bit more at the waist and hips.
The sleeves were the right length but I narrowed them a bit and adjusted the cuff to match. I don't mind the looser cuff but if you prefer a tighter cuff, you might want to eliminate more width. I went with black buttons for the contrast.
Close up of the cuff, it is sometimes quite hard to get detail shots with a tripod and remote!
The instructions are fabulous and detailed with very helpful illustrations. I think this pattern is one you could really change up every time you make it
1. Eliminate the cuff
2. Make the cuff match the sleeve fabric
3. Add a coordinating neck band
4. eliminate the sleeves and have cap sleeves.
5. Add some buttons or a band in the yoke for detailing
6. Add more colorblocking for a dress length
7. It would be a great maxi dress
8. Add piping between the yoke and tunic part
9. Add darts for a more fitted look
10.. Side slits
There you go a Top 10 list for ideas. The Marianne Dress is drafted beautifully and really gives you such a nice basis for the dress. You can take that pattern and really make it individually your own. I am so happy I added this pattern to my collection, even if it took me 2 months to make it! Once I did get the fabric figured out, it almost took me longer to cut it out than sew it. Matching the plaid at the side seams and the sleeves, made for careful layout and cutting. The sewing is straight forward and fast. I did all of this on my serger.
I can't ignore my friend, he is always patient while I take pictures. When I am finished he is ready for some fun.