The fabric I picked for my tunic is a Donna Karan Rayon from Mood and the description states
Lightweight with a crepe-y hand and crisp drape. Would look sophisticated as tops and
tunics. It also states it is red and white but I feel it is more pink-cream.
This Gallery Tunic has quite a bit of built in ease. For instance I would make a size 12 based on my bust of 38 - the sizing states bust 39. Then I went to look at the finished measurements to compare, I don't like to have lots of ease. The size 12 finished is 44.5" of ease. I did some testing and went with a combination of sizing for shoulders and bust, varying from a 6 to a 10 at the shoulders.
I did make some changes based on my fabric, it does press with a crisp hand, perfect for the front pleat. That crepe-y hand played a factor in the drape, the fabric feels spongey to me. This rayon was not behaving like I wanted to I did some compensating for the fabric drape. I stitched the front pleat down 3" from the placket and eliminated the back pleat.
In the photo below, I am holding just below where the stitching ends. I added buttons to the placket, just to add interest to the front. The buttons were sewn straight through the plackets, no need for buttonholes, the tunic goes on easily. I did try 3 buttons at first, after all, in design odd numbers are best. Only one problem, with 3 buttons, it was too high and my necklace didn't show. If you have read my blog for very long, you know I like my necklaces!
Let's talk about the placket, it is so easy. I love Liesl's method of construction for this and the instructions and diagrams for the pattern are excellent. So easy to follow and understand, which makes for great results.
I took my photos on Saturday and it was 70 degrees and I just felt white pants would give the tunic such a spring look, plus sidewalk chalk art from the little guy makes it feel spring is coming. I did take some photos in jeans, the contrast of navy and the tunic, showed the tunic off a bit more.
I really wanted to add some color to this fabric, so I pulled out this yellow and pink paisley quilting cotton. It was a perfect match and just what the main fabric needed.
The cuffs had a few changes from the pattern, Leisl's cuff is one piece folded in half, which is a great cuff. I needed to change it so I could have the paisley as the facing. I used the original cuff piece, taking 1" off the width. Adding 1" to the sleeve length gave me bracelet length sleeves. I folded back the cuff and added buttons to the corners to keep the cuff in place.
The paisley was used on the under collar also, fun print to add a pop of color. Also, in this picture you can see there is no back pleat. I used a center back seam, adding waist shaping, which my fabric needed. I say my fabric, but it is myself, too, My "H" shape with not much waist definition looks better if I give my garments the appearance of shape! :)
Sorry that this is the only picture of the back, I have not mastered the remote control and get a picture pose yet.
Side view, I am so happy with the profile
Hopscotch anyone? The little guy had no interest in that at all!
To conclude the post before I hop on out! ha, sorry, couldn't pass that one up.
The Gallery Tunic:
1. I love the placket instructions, it is the easiest one I have ever done.
2. The collar is a one piece with the band attached, it worked great.
3. Check the ease and compare to what you are comfortable with. In fact go measure that favorite tunic in your closet and that will help you pick the right size.
4. Drape is important, so pick a fabric with nice drape.
5. Remember this is your tunic, have fun and make it uniquely you, which is easy to do - the Gallery Tunic pattern has so many options.
Disclosure: I was provided this pattern as part of the Oliver + S Gallery Tunic Sewalong. I am a panelist for this sewalong and enjoyed making this tunic. The opinions on the Tunic all are mine.