I bought this great ponte knit from Fabric Mart a few months ago but couldn't decide what to make. I posted a picture on Instagram and a fitted jacket was the most popular garment suggestion. I went with McCall's 6711, made first just over a year ago in a stripe knit, which I love and wear quite often. In fact, I wore it to a fundraiser about a month ago and as I was leaving a lady stopped me. She told me how much she liked my outfit and how nice I looked. I thought that was so sweet of her and I know I walked with a bit more confidence in my step.
I did not line this one but I serged the seams and finished the facing with a pink knit,which this picture shows.
I cut out all the garment pieces in a single layer, helping to match the pattern with the princess seams, side seams and sleeves. As you can tell in the picture above the pattern is only on the right side. This made pattern matching more difficult for me. Does anyone have suggestions in this situation?
I had one side that matched really well, in fact I think this is the best I have ever done, so I am sharing my print matching happiness.
The other side is almost as good but not quite, the sleeves are nice and so is the side seams. One thing that has happened with my almost empty nest and no school activities to attend, I have more patience and time in my sewing. I spent a couple of nights cutting out this jacket. A most unusual task for me.
With all this print matching, my fabric ran a bit short. I cut my sleeves a short 3/4 sleeves, but had some scraps of fabrics to add a turn-up cuff to the sleeves. This was a nice solution to add length.
Thanks all of those you commented on my Instagram photo and helped decide what this fabric would become. I love your suggestion!