The fabric I selected was Mustard Solid Poplin, which was intended for a skirt with this Navy stripe jersey for the top. I was thinking this look:
I am still planning the navy-white top from Renfrew top but the mustard poplin wants to be something else. As stated on Mood's site, this is a lightweight fabric but with a finish that made me think of outerwear.
I went through all my patterns, then my Ottobre for Women, then my BWOF collection. Meredith was helping me to decide which one was the best and we settled on this jacket it BWOF 6/2006 #104
The fabric has a vertical stretch, so I folded it and cut my jacket so the stretch was going around the body.
I stitched the pockets but one of them turned out to be a different size, darn those exact seam allowance. My solution, to take the best looking finished pocket and placed in on some extra fabric and traced around the pocket.
My thoughts on this jacket was to mix prints a bit with the stripe top, the mustard jacket and then add some floral fabric to the jacket. As shown online, in magazines, runways and fashion collections, floral prints are big.
I had some floral in my stash and wanted just a bit on my jacket, piping seemed to be the answer, a bit on the pocket flap.
Here is the finished pocket.
I discovered something else, no picture but here it is. I wanted the angled buttonholes to be the same on both flaps. I stitched the buttonholes in one flap, then I placed the two flaps RST and pressed them, leaving the buttonhole indention on the flap. This showed me the exact spot to sew the buttonholes.
The jacket is unlined, so I did the facings like this, stitch the long edge with right side of facing and right side of interfacing together. Then turn the interfacing to wrong side and press, this makes a nice clean edge.