Before I get into the dress construction, I need to start with how I went with this pattern. I have a relative small stash and was going through it looking for just something to go with this Mood Fabric and I found this cotton twill (purchased a couple of years ago from Joanns). The twill was a perfect cream match and I knew my fabric combination was set. I then started going through the patterns. I found two, an OOP Simplicity tunic and Vogue 1382 (Anne Klein dress). Being very indecisive, I put pictures on Instagram for help. By the way, don’t you just love Instagram? It was a really a toss up between the tunic and the dress until fellow Mood Sewing Network blogger, Sew Busy Lizzy, suggested Vogue 1329. I knew I had that pattern somewhere and went looking though all my pattern drawers. Oh, for a snow day this winter just to stay home and organize, but that is another story. Let’s get back to the dress…..
I loved Sew Busy Lizzy’s idea, it seemed perfect for the fabrics. I did a bit of research for the fit and found that Erica had made this pattern. I followed her advice and added inches to the length. I went with 2 -1/2″ for the length and loved her advice of pegging the hem. I cut a straight size 12 in the dress and then pegged the hem on the sides seams to the size 8 at the hemline. The difference between the 12 and the 8 at the hem was about the 4 inches Erica suggested for the hem.
Let me ask you all this, do you have some kind of sewing frustration occasionally on your projects? I had a big frustration on this one and it all dealt with the invisible zipper. I inserted the first one, pulled up the tab and the zipper pulled apart right at the seamline between the contrast and the print. I went to my zippers and found another one that would work, did a bit of unsewing to remove the first one. Carefully stitched in the new zipper, pulled it up to close and check the placement of the two back pieces, holding my breath a bit. Pop!! Off came the zipper tab. Oh my word, not again. Into the zippers again I went and found one last one that would work. More unsewing to remove the second zipper and really, really holding my breath, I stitched the zipper in for the third time. This one worked and went in perfectly and zipped perfectly. What a releif! The zipper looks good and I am so happy I put in a small strip of fusible interfacing in my seam line for the zipper. I really needed that stabilization for this dress and all the sewing.