I went with Burda 6904, a pattern I have been wanting to make for quite some time. The fabric is the star of the show, Mood Fabrics' blue/white textural woven cotton woven, which is sold out but the red/white is still available. This fabric was wonderful to sew and I felt the drape was just perfect for this fun skirt, which cotton and linen are suggested fabrics.
Let's talk about the pattern, I went with a size 38, my usual with Burda patterns and the fit was perfect first time. My choice was view B, the one with a yoke, upper panel and skirt panel. Well, this view is the longest length at 24.75 inches and I ended up cutting off a couple of inches. I did hang my skirt overnight for the lower section's bias. One thing that is quite nice with this Burda pattern, the lengths for all three views are listed on the envelope back.
I really want to make view A of this pattern, which is one more pattern piece, the center tier. You could use Burda's idea with two different fabrics and alternate the fabrics or you could purchase the red/white textural cotton fabric and use the reverse side. The woven part on the reverse side looks like amazing, too.
Now I can reach into my closet and have a great summer skirt, a fun pattern and the perfect Mood Fabric are a winning combination. I started thinking about a top for my skirt and Butterick 6175, the boxy top was my choice. The top I had made before in a fun bird print from Mood, so I knew the fit. Mood Fabrics' Stretch Viscose Ponte was the fabric I selected for this boxy top. Since I was using a knit, I folded out the darts and curved the edge of the dart just a bit, easing that curve into the back piece. I also added 1" to the length just to have a bit extra for "just in case". Much easier to add when cutting out than wishing I had more length when hemming, right?
As you can tell in the picture, I am not wearing the boxy top with the skirt. I just did not like the look. Using the viscose ponte, made this top heavy and too much for the fun, twirly skirt. I do love this top in this fabric and will wear it so much this summer. An exposed zipper is a fun touch for the back.
I did take off 1/2" from the sleeve length and slimmed the sleeves just a bit. I loved the neckline in my bird print top but with the heavier ponte, I lowered the neckline one inch. The neckline is bound with a small facing as not to add more bulk, topstitching was added to the neckline.
I might take a bit more off the length of the top and the sleeves, I am still on the fence. What do you think? Does it look too long for the style? Even though my plan for these two separates to work together did not pan out, I have two great garments to finish up the summer.
Now I went out very early Tuesday morning to get these pictures. The top went first and then the skirt, as you can tell the light got better for the skirt. I had place to be that day, daughter #4, Kaitlyn, the soon-to-be bride, needed my help at their house. I am off all this week and she and fiance are building a house, with the help of his dad. Yes, the 3 of them are building the house, it is a beautiful home. I was on cleaning duty today, scraping drywall off the floor. This weekend we hope to be painting.
Disclosure - I receive a monthly fabric allowance from Mood Fabrics to make a garment. This garment is blogged at Mood Sewing Network first and then I will blog here about this garment.