Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Count 'em - TWO new Tops!

Pattern Review




Pattern: Burda World of Fashion 8/2007 #107
Description: Knit top with center front gathering and self-fabric tie. Ruching on sleeves, ¾ sleeves, interesting seaming in front
Sizing: 38 to 46, I made a 40 but will taper to a 38 in the hips for another one.
Instructions: The instructions were pretty good. It took a bit to figure out the upper front and front seaming but after playing with the pieces, I succeeded!

Likes/Dislikes: I made a muslin – not too common for me with a knit top. I used this awful sale fabric from Joann’s for the muslin. The top was a bit too big and I did not care for the gathering on the sleeves and decide to make long sleeves. I like the interesting details on this shirt – spices up a knit shirt.
Changes: I added 1-1/2” to the lower front piece at the top (which is the top of the shirt). It was a bit low, and probably still is a low, so next time maybe another inch. I lengthened the sleeves to long and omitted the gathering on the sleeves. After trying on the top, the neckline pulled away, I read on Sommerset’s blog she used clear elastic. Well, I had no clear elastic to keep the neckline to the body. I decided to add a self-tie gathering. It looks cut I think and helps pull the top in.
Fabric: A rayon knit from Joann’s.
Conclusion: A cute top with a trendy twist. I might get brave and mix a stripe with a solid as in the BWOF garment.









Close up of casing and tie:




Pattern Review

Pattern:Kwik Sew 3419
Description: Misses’ Tops with bodice gathers, empire waist and neckline variations.
Sizing: XS to XL, I made a medium but should have been a small. What can I say, the medium was traced and I was lazy. I did have to rework most of the top. I will not be lazy again – yea, right but it sounds good.
Instructions: Kwik Sew instructions are always good.
Likes/Dislikes: I like the empire seam, the necklines and the shaping. Dislike the really low necklines.
Changes: I added 2” to raise the neckline. I stitched the bust gathers as indicated on the pattern. I had to take out the empire seam and eliminate the gathers, recut the front bodice to make it smaller (remember I was lazy) It just was too much fabric for my chest. I did not add any gathers. I also stitched the side seams with 1” seams.
My fabric was not the best shade of pink for my skin tone and I felt it needed something. I used some black knit for contrast. The black was used to bind the neckline and then I added a 1” strip (folded in half) and sewn as piping to the empire seam.
Fabric: Rayon knit from Joann’s
Conclusion: This is a cute pattern and my top is okay, I don’t love it. This top will be fine for work and I used some fabric I just wasn’t too crazy about. I think I bought it for the feel and the shock – my Joann’s had such nice knits for a change.

















6 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on that Burda top, too. Your review is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cute! I really like how you added the black to the second top. It really dresses it up. I think you should definitely do the first top in a stripe and solid. I like the design of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute tops! The Burda top is really lovely and different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. debbie5:34 PM

    Love, love, love that first top. You write the best pattern reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both tops are fabulous! I'm keeping an eye on the BWOF top too and I find your review very helpful! I like the ties idea, it gives a nice effect to the neckline and keeps it close to the body. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice tops, both of them. The Burda top is also of my "to try" list.

    ReplyDelete