The Birkin Flares, a project I have put off too long. There are so many great jeans sewn from this pattern and I had a great denim in my stash
I read the instructions thoroughly and took my measurements one more time to double check which size to make. I went with a 30 in the waist and 28 in the hips and legs. It is a perfect fit! The jeans are snug but my denim has great stretch and they feel great. I have worn them a bit for the hemming and then again for the photos and I feel the denim relaxing and the fit changing a bit. When the denim has the perfect stretch, you want the jeans snug for the relaxing factor. This has been a hard concept for me to grasp but after too many jeans that are stretched out and baggy, I am learning!
I am 5'8" tall and was a bit worried about the length, so I added an inch to the length but I didn't need to do that. I took off the inch and another half inch.
The jeans just skim the ground in the back, perfect for wide leg flares.
I can't remember if I purchased the denim from Mood or Joann's, sorry.
I am going to start with the back pockets.....
It has perfect stretch and quite a bit. I noticed the top of the pockets stretching out a bit when I did the topstitching. So I did some unsewing, added some interfacing and stitched it again.
After the top was stitched, I used my chalk liner and marked the seam allowances. This extra step helps me to keep the seam allowances I turn under uniform and both my pockets match.
I wanted to make sure the back pockets didn't stretch out or the denim on the back. I went to some of my embroidery stabilizers and used a tear away on the wrong side of the jeans. It helped and I didn't find any fabric stretching out.
Time for just some detail shots of the jeans
Buttonhole twist thread was used for the topstitching and remember to buy at least 2 spools! It goes quickly. One thing I did do was to use regular thread in a similar color for all bartacks. My machine does not like making bartacks with thick thread.
One thing I really like about these jeans, the higher waist.
Rivets are a struggle for me, I just don't have anything to place them into and then hammer. I had an idea and tried it on scrap denim and it worked. I used my KAM snap press, purchased when the first little guy was born for baby clothes. I just put them in and held them in place while a pulled the lever down
Yoke and the topstitching matches!
Happy smile in my new jeans, now to remember to put the camera back more for the 50 mm lens!